Please refer to Andreas' mail which you can find on

https://lists.strongswan.org/pipermail/users/2007-June/001874.html

This e-mail describes a very similar problem. You probably have to add
something like the following to your ipsec.conf:

conn pass
         leftsubnet=172.16.0.16/29
         rightsubnet=172.16.0.16/29
         left=%defaultroute
         right=a.b.c.d
         type=passthrough
         authby=never
         auto=route

Let us know if this solves your problem.
If the problem persists then please post your ipsec.conf and also the
output of the following command:

ip xfrm policy

Btw: The problem is not located in the routing table but in the
so-called Security Policy Database which determines which IP packets
IPsec should be applied to. The connection description above adds an
exception for local traffic.

-Daniel