Hello Marc,

Marc Giger wrote:
> Hi Andreas
>
> Finally I've solved the problem. It works again now.
> I've found out, that I have to set nat_traversal to no
> to let it communicate over port 500. Port 4500 is
> blocked on a firewall in front of the ipsec gw.
>
> Is this change in the behavor for IKV1 intentional?

The IKE NAT-Traversal RFC 3947 mandates floating to
UDP port 4500 if a NAT situation is detected:

   In Main Mode, the initiator MUST change ports when sending the ID
   payload if there is NAT between the hosts.  The initiator MUST set
   both UDP source and destination ports to 4500.  All subsequent
   packets sent to this peer (including informational notifications)
   MUST be sent on port 4500.  In addition, the IKE data MUST be
   prepended with a non-ESP marker allowing for demultiplexing of
   traffic, as defined in [RFC3948].

see http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3947#section-4 .

The only alternative is IPsec passthrough using IKE port
and IPsec protocol forwarding where the IKE stays on port 500
and ESP is not encapsulated in UDP. This is achieved with the
strongSwan IKEv1 setting

  nat_traversal = no

Best regards

Andreas