Hi Ashish,

when I carried out the test, I was thinking about an instance of
strongSwan that only *responds* to connection setup requests. I did not
have strongSwan *initiate* connections.

What you are basically saying to strongSwan is:

"Initiate a connection to 10.10.10.2. Ignore the identity of the peer
because I do not know it. But make sure that the peer has a valid
certificate that is signed by a CA I trust."

This kind of configuration is unusual in my opinion because you are
trying to initiate a connection but you do not even know what the
identity of the peer is.

However, it makes sense to *respond* to requests from unknown peers
because those requests might come from road warriors.

I'm afraid that pluto simply does not support the kind of configuration
you are thinking about. Charon apparently does support it.

I do not know whether this is a limitation of the protocol (IKEv1) or
the implementation (pluto).

I suggest addressing the strongSwan core developers and ask if there is
a way to overcome this limitations.

-Daniel