You are right in that, the virtual IPs sent to the initiators are available
in initiator.

If your setup is point to point and not roadwarrior, you can use a range
from .254-.254 and try it out, .253 will be fixed in responder. I can't
confirm if this works as I haven't tried it.

If you want to use a point to multipoint using multiples /30 links, please
don't do this, that is a lot of headache to manage.

Put a big /16 network and put that in the range of the responder, use a
roadwarrior configuration and make this an NBMA network.

OSPF should work fine with this setup and you free yourself from managing
virtual /30 networks that its only purpose is to satisfy a next-hop
requirement of a dynamic protocol.

I did this exact same setup but using BGP since it uses TCP unicast and
cloud firewalls play nice with that, OSPF is layer 4 so it may bring
trouble if you move to the cloud.