Jason van Zyl wrote:

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 19:29, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

"Mark H. Wilkinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 01/04/2003 01:44:01 AM:

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 20:57, Mark McBride wrote:
Ahh; see what you mean. I don't think it would be that difficult to add
support for that kind of thing, but it's not there now. You'd need to
solve a couple of problems:
1. You need a standard way to represent multiple Java source trees
in the POM.

That will never happen. It was fully intentional that there is only one
source directory per project.

At the moment the paths to the source trees are

encoded in the jelly script, so aren't easily available to any
plugin. A simple solution that you could start with would be to
put them in <properties> elements in the POM, but there probably
ought to be support for this in the POM itself (IMHO).

Sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean for multiple source directories
when you add them manually? The addPath tag was made specifically for
generative plugins like antlr where sources are generated. That is the
only intended use.

We've tried having multiple source trees before. It was damn difficult. I'm happy for someone else to give it a go and get everything working consistently, but I personally have been down that road and never want to go back.

+1

There will never, ever, ever be support for more than one source tree
per project.

Jason, can you clarify what the real issue with multiple source directories is? I've tried searching through the dev and user archives I've got (back to last Aug), and couldn't get a good idea of what the problem is. The best I could find was a statement from you that you don't consider it good form since it encourages putting together unrelated source in the same project.

While having Maven encourage good source organization practices is a laudible goal, are there any real technical issues with supporting multiple source directories? Given that Maven already does support multiple source dirs in the only fashion I use them (to separate test sources from non-test sources), and handles generated sources (from the like of xdoclet), I don't personally need anything more for my projects. However this restriction seems like a somewhat arbitrary decision notheless, which makes it much harder for some projects currently using Ant or various IDEs like JBuilder or Eclipse, all of which do currently support multiple source directories (and multiple target directories for that matter), to switch over to Maven. If existing projects must be significantly reorganized to use Maven, there is much less chance they will do so, as opposed to the approach of getting the build going in some fashion, and then doing a gradual refactoring of the project layout(s). IMHO, the best tools are flexible enough to support existing practices, while gently prodding users towards best practices.

Regards,

Colin