I can't see any other replies to this so...
You appear to have an extra '/' at the end of maven.repo.remote. Try:
maven.repo.remote=http://sxserver.semandex.net/maven

If you looked in the logs of your webserver, you'd find it would be reporting errors for
http://sxserver.semandex.net/maven//jdom/jars/jdom-b8.jar

(note the double slash in the middle). Of course the problem could be that you simply don't have the jdom jar sitting there?

Sometimes running with 'maven -X' throws out a lot more useful debug information.

Hope this helped,
        Baz

Maximilian A. Ott wrote:
I downloaded Maven a week ago and have a really hard time getting any of
my projects converted. First of all, I can't find any documentation
which gives a high-level overview on how it is supposed to work (even
finding any useful information on the web site was a bit of a challenge
- now that I did find it seems obvious but not going in).

Anyhow, my problem is that all my projects depend on external libraries.
I cut one down to only depend on one library (jdom.jar). I added the
following to my project.xml file:

  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>jdom</groupId>
      <artifactId>jdom</artifactId>
      <version>b8</version>
      <url>http://www.jdom.org/</url>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>

I also added the following to my project.properties file:

maven.repo.remote=http://sxserver.semandex.net/maven/

When I start maven with:

C:\src\my\SxUtil-2>maven dist:build
 __  __
|  \/  |__ Jakarta _ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.0-beta-9-SNAPSHOT

dist:build-setup: [mkdir] Created dir: C:\src\my\SxUtil-2\target\distributions

xdoc:init:
    [mkdir] Created dir: C:\src\my\SxUtil-2\target\generated-xdocs
    [mkdir] Created dir: C:\src\my\SxUtil-2\target\docs

java:prepare-filesystem:
    [mkdir] Created dir: C:\src\my\SxUtil-2\target\classes

java:compile:

--------------

It does NOT download the jdom jar file.
(http://sxserver.semandex.net/maven/jdom/jars/jdom-b8.jar does return
the jar).

I saw an attempt for downloading once (before I had the jar in place)

As Maven seems to be able to replace a lot of my ad-hoc project
management setups I would love to get it going and put it through its
paces, but learning the first few steps is always the biggest challenge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-max

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<project>
  <pomVersion>1</pomVersion>
  <name>sx.util</name>
  <id>sx.util</id>
  <currentVersion>1.1.3</currentVersion>
  <organization>
    <name>Wairoa River Lab</name>
    <url>http://www.sxmx.org/</url>
  </organization>
  <inceptionYear>2003</inceptionYear>
  <package>org.wairoa</package>

<shortDescription>Useful Tools</shortDescription>

  <description>
    This is a collection of useful classes ...
  </description>

  <repository>
    <connection>
      scm:cvs:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/cvspublic:maven
    </connection>
    <url>
      http://cvs.semandex.net/viewcvs/sx-util/
    </url>
  </repository>

  <versions>
    <version>
      <id>1.1.3</id>
      <name>1.1.3</name>
      <tag>HEAD</tag>
    </version>
  </versions>

  <developers>
    <developer>
      <name>Maximilian A. Ott</name>
      <id>max</id>
      <email>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</email>
      <organization></organization>
    </developer>
  </developers>

  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>jdom</groupId>
      <artifactId>jdom</artifactId>
      <version>b8</version>
      <url>http://www.jdom.org/</url>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>

  <build>
    <nagEmailAddress>
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    </nagEmailAddress>

<sourceDirectory>src/java</sourceDirectory>

    <unitTestSourceDirectory>src/test</unitTestSourceDirectory>
    <integrationUnitTestSourceDirectory/>

<aspectSourceDirectory/>

    <jars>
    </jars>