On Saturday, July 12, 2003, at 08:02 PM, Dave Ford wrote:

The advantage I see is that you get to have test code that has
package-level access
Actually, you get that by placing them in the same directory also. So that's
not really an advantage.

and because it's in a separate tree, it's easy to
build binaries that don't include all the test code...
Obviously, this is easily accomplished by tools such as Ant or Maven by
simply excluding *Test

That assumes that your test code is so simple that everything fits a pattern like that. If so, yes, your are right. But when there's other code that isn't *Test, then it helps to be able to have a separate tree....

geir

So, back to my question. Why is this a best practice? Maybe it's a common
practices, possibly a standard practiced, but no one has yet convinced me
it's best practice.

Dave Ford
Smart Soft - The Developer Training Company
http://www.smart-soft.com

Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-434-2093(m)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   203-247-1713(m)