I've not been using Anthill, but am doing continuous integration with
nightly build scripts [assuming that nightly counts as continuous].

I've considered an error to be the failure to produce an output. So if no
*ar is created as a part of the build, the build failed, and if a docs/
was not made as a part of 'maven site', then the site build failed.

It would be nice if Maven would set up some nice error codes for different
failure reasons.

1 = DEPENDENCIES FAIL [if it exits here]
2 = SRC WON'T COMPILE
3 = TEST SRC WON'T COMPILE
4 = TESTS FAIL

etc etc.

The cludgy success-test might not work for you, but has managed to hang
together enough for my needs.

Hen