A version number attached to every single file is a very nice thing...
but it it's just too extreme in some cases. What is a good for
heavyweight artifacts (jars, wars) is not necessarily a good thing for
lightweight artifacts.  E.g. forcing user to have all java scripts or
css files with version number and asking them to re-edit a dozen of web
pages just because they decided to use foo-RC2 in place of foo-RC1 is
not the best practice.
I am speaking _just_ about application assembling, not about a
repository - as in the repository every artifact without any exception
should be versioned. I don't see anything wrong if the war plugin will
remove version number from some file names while they are bundled in the
war.
We just need to be careful while choosing such exceptional places.

Emmanuel: - there was a post some times ago here explaining why you
don't need to care about TLD files at all if you are using web container
supporting JSP 1.2 (auto discovery of TLDs). Probabaly this is the best
thing you can do.

Michal

PM: