The Avalon team would like to use their distribution heirarchy as a Maven remote
repository.  The only problem is the traffic it forces on the Apache servers.
We would like to incorporate support from the mirrors redirection program to get
things to work properly.

I can (and did) easily create a genereated properties file that is run as a CGI
script on the server to point to the preferred mirror.  The file has the entry
maven.repo.remote=[preferred]/avalon,....

which expands to the desired value.

The snag I ran into has to do with declaring the properties files.  Maven has
the <property> element you can put in the maven.xml file, but the only options
to specify the properties files are "file", "resource", and "env".  That means
that I cannot use that to get the remote properties file.

Is there any workaround I can use?  Is there a plugin that exists to take care
of this type of functionality?