Laird Nelson wrote:

Andy Jefferson wrote:

You could take it further and think of the whole issue of dependencies and the fact that there are basically 3 'types' ... build, test, and runtime.

Or: each plugin has dependencies, and the java:compile one fills its dependency list from the POM, the test:* one fills its dependency list from some other location in the POM, etc.

Right. However as long as we can merge the dependencies at the proper time, we could fix the blind loading and resolving of all dependencies until we really need them.

Saying that each plugin can have a dependency but that that dependency list can come from anywhere (like the POM, i.e. it doesn't need to be hardcoded) allows for more flexibility in the future.

But can Maven be altered so that the dependency won't be resolved unless it is really needed?

For example, why with the "clean" target do all the project dependencies
(which don't differentiate as to use) need to be resolved?