Hi Jeff,

I use the 1.0-beta-10 (so no need to bootstrap), but have the same problem when link checking during site:generate. Sometimes it acts even more spectacular:
maven-linkcheck-plugin: Not using a proxy
/opt/maven/bin/maven: line 145: 9209 Bus error $JAVACMD $MAVEN_OPTS - Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFact oryImpl - Djavax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory=org.apache.xerces.jaxp.Documen tBuilderFactoryImpl "-Djava.endorsed.dirs=${MAVEN_ENDORSED}" -classpath "${MAVEN_HOME}/lib/forehead-${FOREHEAD_VERSION}.jar" "-Dforehead.conf.file=${MAVEN_HOME}/bin/forehead.conf" "-Dtools.jar=$TOOLS_JAR" "-Dmaven.home=${MAVEN_HOME}" $MAIN_CLASS $@

So far I omit this problem be specifically stating the reports to be run in the project.xml file excluding the linkcheck-plugin. Not of much help for you I guess. :-(
I filed it as bug into Jira (http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=MAVEN-816).

Kai