On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Gil César Faria wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> I have a basic project where I have some general utility classes used by
> all other maven projects.
> Inside this general project, i have some abstract test classes that
> should be used within all other
> test classes of all projects. All test classes, including those abstract
> classes are under test directory.
>
> When maven builds the distribution for this general project, it only
> includes the source classes, not
> the test classes. But when i try to build other projects that depends
> upon this general project, i cannot
> compile the tests because the abstract test classes cannot be found.
>
> I am not sure about the best solution for this problem and would like an
> advise from our
> more maven experienced coleagues:
>
> Can i generate more than one artifact (jar) for a single project ? some
> kind of source distribution and test distribution ...

No

http://wiki.codehaus.org/maven/WhyYouCantCreateMultipleArtifactsInOneProject

> Should i generate only a single jar with all source and test classes
> inside it ?

Don't see why not. The test class isnt a class for testing the artifact,
rather a part of you general stuff. Bear in mind that the testcase class
will be included if you end up building war or uberjars.

> Should i create a new project to hold only the abstract test classes,
> and include it as a dependency for all other projects ?

This is also a solution. Currently you can only state _dependencies_ for a
project so it doesn't add much value, but with a later version you can
state runtime/testtime dependencies and then it might be a good idea to
have it as a separate project.

Guess the rest of your questions are answered by now? :)

> Should i redefine dist:build to create a test distribution ?
>
> There is an automated way to tell maven that the test classes should be
> considered as a dependency ?
>
> There is another way to organize my project classes to solve this problem?
>
> Can I define source dependencies and test dependencies separatelly?
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Trygve