From: Elias Sinderson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 9:35 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: uhmm... installation?

Dear Maven Community,

Do help me out with this one, I hope I'm not missing something entirely obvious... (Don't you just love requests for help that start off like this? ;-)

I'm attempting to set up maven for the first time. I visited the web page, where I was able to download the latest distribution (1.0-beta-10) without difficulty. I untarred the file, set my environment variables, and attempted to run the command:

$MAVEN_HOME/bin/install_repo.sh $HOME/.maven/repository

as instructed on the installation page. Guess what? There is no 'install_repo.sh' in the $MAVEN_HOME/bin directory! I thought I must have the wrong version, as the instructions clearly state that they are for maven-1.0-beta-8, so I downloaded that version as well and untarred it. Guess what? There is no 'install_repo.sh' included in that distribution either! Just in case, I also checked the maven-1.0-beta-9 distribution as well, and no 'install_repo.sh' was to be found. In frustration, I downloaded and checked the .zip distributions as well ... no 'install_repo.sh' to be found anywhere.

So I checked the FAQ, no help there. I searched the mailing list archives for install_repo.sh, but no matches were found... Believe me, I would really like to use this tool but the developers seem bent on making it unnecessarily difficult. I should think that having up to date and accurate installation instructions would be a higher priority than it appears to be. Please respond to this email on the list so that others facing the same issues might find a useful resource where no others appear to be. Until then, I'm off to file a bug in Jira about this glaring oversight...

For the love of god, Elias