> This is my first day with Maven :)

Welcome :-)

> I am trying to use it for a very basic application, say, to make jar from a
> simple java class. I did the following:
> 1) Installed and set up Maven
> 2) D:\SampleMaven\com\src contains Test.java which I need to include in Jar
> 3) Set up JAVA_HOME and MAVEN_HOME.

> Attempting to download maven-SNAPSHOT.jar.
> Error retrieving artifact from
> [http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/maven/jars/maven-SN APSHOT.jar]:
> java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect WARNING: Failed to
> download maven-SNAPSHOT.jar.

Maven needs to populate its repository with various bits of software to run.
It assumes you have a connection to go to "www.ibiblio.org/maven" to get
these. If you haven't got internet access, or are behind a firewall (are you
in this situation ?) you will need to set up your repository manually ... in
the Maven install it has a repository directory, and under this are the
various package directories

repository/"package"/jars/...

so you need to get hold of those jars mentioned below yourself (go to
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/ and you will find them in a similar directory
layout), and copy them into the various package places in your Maven
repository.

e.g
repository/commons-io/jars/commons-io-20030203.000550.jar
repository/commons-net/jars/commons-net-1.0.0.jar
etc

> maven-SNAPSHOT.jar
> commons-io-20030203.000550.jar
> commons-net-1.0.0.jar
> commons-httpclient-2.0-beta1.jar
> commons-lang-1.0.jar
> jsch-0.1.5.jar
> commons-jelly-20030310.073407.jar
> commons-jelly-tags-velocity-20030303.205659.jar
> velocity-1.3.jar

HTH
--
Andy