I had the same issue.  I setup an HTTP server local to my network and
created a remote repository on it.  I then setup all of my maven
projects to use multiple remote repositories.  The first repository is
always our internal repository and the second one is the maven default
repository.  So far, it has worked out well.  Here are two links that
may help you:
http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Using%20Multiple%20Rem
ote%20Repositories
http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Remote%20Repository%20