I feel like something that needs to be better explained is that Maven is Not
Ant..  I think people see Maven, like how easy all the plugins make it to
tie in really intestesting reporting etc..   But, what they don't realize is
that part of what makes all the various plugins play nice with each other is
that there is a real structure to how things go together.

That means that maven is more then just a collections of plugins.  It is
also all the interdendencies between the various plugins.  Which is why when
you run war:webapp, all your unit tests are run.

The freedom to do everything by hand that is present in Ant is not present
in Maven.  But, at least for many of my projects, I don't want that
freedom..  I would rather have an easy to setup, stable, well understood
build system with lots of reporting versus something that can be everything
to everybody, but requires lots of knowledge of the build system internals..

Where (I feel) that Ant shines is when you are doing something very complex,
very custom, and you want to do it your way, not any other way.

Eric