Until today I've been using only jar:install which puts things in the local
repository. I have not installed (or deployed) anything to a remote
repository, which is the next step.

maven-proxy automatically maintains a read/write repository but with Apache
I want to share a read only official repository.

Thanks for you promptly answer,
Rogelio