Me neither
what I want to have (writen with caller plugin sematic)

 <goal name="java:compile">
    <j:if test="${sourcesPresent == 'true'}">
       <caller:call goalInterface="compile-java"/>
   </j:if>
 </goal>

> If we have:
>
>     <j:if test="${sourcesPresent == 'true'}">
>       <atainGoal name="xxxxx:compile"/>  (e.g
> xxxxx:compile=java:compile)
>       <attainGoal name="test:test"/>
>     </j:if>
>
> And if there is some interception, then it is *very* misleading because
> the reader will think the java plugin will be called but in practice it
> will be some other plugin's goal.

Exactly that's the point.  java plugin and java:compile plugin will be
always called and should be always called!.
So you can add pre&postGoals for java:compile

and the do

maven.caller.call.compile-java = javac:compile
or
maven.caller.call.compile-java = jikes:compile

if you call
<caller:call goalInterface="compile-java"/> from war plugin you have to
change blocks like

<preGoal name="java:compile">
    do something here
<.preGoal>

every time you want to change a compiler.

Michal