Hi,

I'm using Maven on a SuSE 9.0 (before that, 8.1 and 8.2). I use following setup:

in /usr, I've created a directory called "java". Below that directory, I
install all my java stuff such as ant, maven, jdk's etc.

I've executed the commands:
chgrp -R users /usr/java
chmod -R g+w /usr/java

I know, that this gives any user access to modify anything below the /usr/java
directory, but on my machine, the only user is .... me.

You would need to give the users access to write into the repository directory
too, if you wish to use a single repository and not one pr. user.

I've been quite happy with Linux/maven, I've used maven for quite a while.

br,
  /Sverre