I've written up some work I did on customising the Maven generated website. In
my case I wanted to use the Maven website generation but have 2 sites ... one
for Users and one for Developers. It involves use of a custom site.jsl file
and gives examples of what you would need to do to achieve the end result,
giving a sample site that uses this technique.

You can read it at
http://www.ajsoft.net/articles/maven-website.html

Feel free to reference it in the Maven documentation if you think it adds
anything not already covered.
--
Andy