Is jar:deploy / jar:deploy-snapshot supposed to create
a .md5 file in the central repository?

Currently this does not appear to be the case, even
though other similar goals, such as war:deploy and
war:deploy-snapshot do create the relevant .md5 files
in the central repository.

Upon further inspection of the Jelly source for the
jar plugin, it appears that while the jar plugin uses
"<deploy:artifact ... >", the war plugin uses
"<artifact:deploy ... >" instead.

Presumably, creation of .md5 is done only by
"<artifact:deploy ... >", and not "<deploy:artifact
... >".

This lack of .md5 files for JARs is causing my Maven
proxy to forward requests on to the repositories it is
proxying, to try to download the .md5 file.

So, I have 2 questions.

1. How can I cause the jar:deploy* goals to generate
.md5 files today?

2. When will the jar:deploy* goals be enhanced to use
the same "<artifact:deploy ...>" implementation as
used by the war plugin?

Kind Regards,
John Fallows.