Does anybody know of any articles I can find on the Internet detailing the
advantages and drawbacks of using an artifact repository (instead of
sticking artifacts in an SCM) for software development?

I want to read more about this style of development - I have some colleagues
who are not convinced that it is a good idea to put artifacts somewhere else
besides a SCM system.  While there is general agreement that a repository is
a good thing (preventing duplicate copies of the same jar) my colleagues
argue that backing the repository with a SCM provides more security (can't
accidently put a patch into a third party jar) and allows anyone to, at any
past point in time, to get a complete, unadulterated snapshot of a project
and build it.

I think there are good arguments both ways (even though I support the Maven
artifact model.)

Thanks, Steve