I think they are!

see your own comments below:

> I'm not sure what you mean by pure: as far as I have always
> thought, the
> POM would describe everything about a project. I often see myself
> working at a nice GUI tool operating on the project. From this
> perspective, and to the user of this tool, whether things come from
> properties files or the POM is irrelavent. The use of properties files
> came into use simply because of their convenience and people being
> accustomed to them in Ant.

Exactly. For me POM = project.xml + project.properties.
Maybe even maven.xml is a part of POM  (it contains definition of goals
which can be inherited by other projects)

So we can imagine methods like:

List<Goal> Project.getGoals() (returns all goals implemented in maven.xml
file of given project + all inherited goals)

which can be inherited by child projects.

As far as I understand it today when POM will be read from database, ldap
there will be no differnce between things which are coming from project.xml,
project.properties or maven.xml.

my 2 cents

Michal