Sean Kelly wrote:
I've got some code that sadly requires an old version of xerces, 1.4.4. The dependency in my project is

   <dependency>
     <groupId>xerces</groupId>
     <artifactId>xerces</artifactId>
     <version>1.4.4</version>
     <url>http://xml.apache.org/xerces-j/</url>
   </dependency>

However, compilation never succeeds under Maven. I'm getting undefined symbols, as if it's picking up a newer xerces (perhaps the one in $MAVEN_HOME/lib/endorsed/xerces-2.4.0.jar).

With debug output on, I can cut-and-paste the generated compile command onto a "javac" command line and it works fine.
Probably you met unresolved classloader issues.
I had similiar problem with maven-beta10, but the bug
(http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=MPXDOC-71)
is still not closed, so it seems the bug is still in effect.

I'am afraid it is time to upgrade, if you want to use maven to compile your project.

--
Norbert Pabiś

Nobody expects the Debian Inquisition!
Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency!