I was messing with this very problem the other day, and I _think_ the
"varAttribute" attribute allows the redefinition of the variable
attribute used to name the binding of the _tag_ in the jelly context. I
don't know if this tag would allow one to gain access to the underlying
bean (I suspect not), but the var attribute allows the change from this:

<d:jellybean name="tag" ... />

<tag var="theTagInstance" ... />

to this:

<d:jellybean name="tag" ... varAttribute="bind"/>

<tag bind="theTagInstance" ... />

Hope it helps.

-john