Hey Charlie, it seems that Maven uses the following location by default as your local
repository on MS Windows:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\.maven

However, if you would like to change it to ~/.maven, you'll need to add the following
line to your project.properties:

#
# local repository properties
#

maven.repo.local = C:/.maven/repository

I hope that the above helps because I fell into this same trap with Maven.

Peace,

-Conrad