Hi Charles

When applying patches to a plugin, you should then afterward "install it" in maven so that the cache for goals is refreshed and all files deployed.
You can perform this by calling plugin:install goal from the directory where the source of the modified plugin.
Never got that error if you modify an existing goal, but I guess that when adding goals, the install call in necessary.

Hope it helps.
Eric.

Charles Daniels wrote:

Hi,

I am quite new to Maven and am having a difficult time understanding some behavior I
am seeing
with respect to plugins.  I have been doing some experimentation with the javadoc
plugin to try to
resolve some other issue, but ran across some behavior that I don't understand.

In an attempt to mimic the war:load goal, I placed an empty javadoc:load goal within
the
plugin.jelly file of the javadoc plugin (v1.4).  Then, I added javadoc:load to the
prereqs of the
javadoc goal.  When I run 'maven javadoc', I can see from the output that the
javadoc:load goal
was attained prior to the javadoc goal, as expected.  However, when I attempt to
directly attain
the javadoc:load goal (via 'maven javadoc:load'), I get the following message:

   INTERNAL ERROR
   Reference made to goal 'javadoc:load' which has no definition.

What am I missing?  Why would I get this message when I directly attempt to attain the
javadoc:load goal, but get no complaints when it is attained via a prereq?  I am
getting very
confused by Maven's behavior.  Any clarification on this type of behavior will be
greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,
Chuck