I guess I'd go back to my original comment, and provide a bare-bones
project.xml at the base dir, just as a placeholder...then, that will
free you up to write a base-level maven.xml/project.properties to manage
the various builds via multiproject and/or straight reactor. Or am I
missing something?

If anyone has a better method, please pipe up.  I have something like
this in some cases, and am currently using the following:

- multiproject:install goal
- base-level project.properties with the following properties:
  - maven.multiproject.includes=projects/*/project.xml (note ONE star)
- project-level project.properties with something akin to the following:
  - maven.multiproject.type=ejb (only specified at all when EJB project)

Then, within the maven.xml of the EJB projects, I kick off the build for
the ejb-client sub-project (arranged underneath the EJB project dir
structure). This way, even when I run a build straight from an EJB
sub-project, it will still build the ejb-client.

I don't know if this helps or not, but there you go.  Oh, and BTW, since
I'm using multiple EJB's in some projects, I reference a
maven.xml-in-disguise which lives in the base-directory, named something
like 'maven-ejb-goals.xml' via something akin to

<core:import file="../../maven-ejb-goals.xml" inherit="true"/>

in the top of the EJB-project maven.xml file.

Hope it helps...

-john