Ok,
In order to use maven in a multiproject setting, the child projects "extend"
the parent project.  The problem lies in having the parent project mounted
in eclipse as a project with a child project underneath.  It would help if
you explained in your current setup, what do you have mounted as eclipse
projects?

Here's a quick demonstration of what doesn't work in eclipse:
/myproject/project.xml
/myproject/subproject1/project.xml  (extends parent project)
/myproject/subproject2/project.xml  (extends parent project)

now, in eclipse you CAN NOT mount 3 projects; one for the parent, and one
for each subproject.  This is because the files for the subprojects are
already included in the parent project.  If your subprojects extend a
project.xml in parrellel with them, you won't run into this problem.

Ex:
/myproject/masterproject/project.xml
/myproject/subproject1/project.xml  (extends master project)
/myproject/subproject2/project.xml  (extends master project)