Michael,

I think your overall approch is on target.  One of the things I have found
easier when deploying to containers is to have Tomcat as part of CVS..  It
gives you a lot more control over what the Tomcat environment looks like,
isn't too large, and reduces variables.

Also, as far as the merging of jars, anything you can do in Ant, you can do
in Maven, as Maven supports all ant tasks.  Here is an article that gives a
simple example of calling the <echo/> task from Ant in Maven:
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/03/17/maven.html.

Eric Pugh