Vincent Massol wrote:
How do you recon maven can know about the relevant goals?

I guess nothing magical. Simply a goalmap. For example:

<goalmap>
  <goal refid="jar"/>
  <goal refid="mycustomgoal"/>
[...]
</goalmap>

This would be optional and the developer of the project would list the
main goals. "maven -G" would list those goals with their descriptions.

I typically accomplish this by adding a 'help' goal in my maven.xml which documents all of the relevant
goals and properties.

However, it would be nice if this could be done in an additional xml file (goalmap.xml, help.xml, something like that).
As long as it leaves room for goals, properties, and descriptions to be documented.