Not sure if I follow. Maven promotes it's own standard way of declaring
dependencies and organizing repositories of artifacts.
If I understand you correctly your question is: can I use custom repository
structure and custom way of declaring dependencies.
At the time being there is nothing in maven which allows you to plug your
own "strategy" for organizing repository.
Although it will be probably possible (internally) in next generation of
maven this is not something we would really like
to see as there are obvious profits from using common standards. So at the
moment either you use maven with "maven standard"
and this works out of the box or you are on your own with the full power to
do things as you want.
But then the profits from using maven (if any) are not so appealing.

Only way for making some things which are off the standard is:
http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Overriding_Stated_Dependen
cies

> 2. Is there a way to use different file name than maven.xml?

No.
Why do you need to do this?

> 3. Is there a way to 'overide' an existing goal (I know there
> are ways to do things before and after using the pre and post goal)

Just try :)

> Thanks!

Can you please avoid sending twice the same message (to both user & dev
lists)?

Michal