I opened this issue a few days ago, and I can tell you what i did while waiting for
the answers.

I decided i wanted to have a central repository for all the project.properties since i
realized that i had almost the same properties in similar projects

So now i have a few files, one with the default maven settings and other that includes
only the maven properties for ejb, xdoclet, war, aspectj etc etc

Then in the maven.xml file i import the desired property files depending on the kind
of project

This way i have only one place where i can change the properties if needed, and if the
default property for a project is not enough the developer can just create a
project.properties in the project dir and override only the default value

Doing this way i removed all of my project.properties from the subproject but one, and
i have only 5 properties file to manage

I worked hard on this since we have more than 50 subproject and i just couldn't afford
to keep all the maven.xml, project.properties and project.xml up to date, so i came up
with a central repository idea based on entities

Hope this help
Max