After reading the user guide & wiki, it is unclear to me how pom.properties
and properties read from the various *.properties files relate to each other

Do they amount to the same thing at runtime? If so would that apply to *ALL*
plugins?

Lets just imagine that I don't want to write any *.properties files at all?
Is it possible to do everything with properties declared in project.xml?

Do I have the complete wrong end of the stick?

Thanks,
Matthew