It will work in RC3, I committed the fix this week.

You should not be overriding maven.home.local in a project - that is a user
preference and belongs in ~/build.properties.

maven.repo.remote is a funny one - It is usually a site preference (has to
be implemented as a user preference as there is no notion of a site
preference at the moment), but it is often overridden for a project or
plugin to choose an alternate download location for custom JARs. This should
work as a property, but not when put inside jelly, so you will have to
either propogate it to the subprojects or wait for RC3/build from
MAVEN-1_0-BRANCH.

- Brett