I just wrote a goal based on the code for jar:deploy.  I copied the contents
of the goal and then inserted a <signjar> right before deploying.  If anyone
is interested here is the code:

        <maven:user-check user="${maven.username}"/>
            <attainGoal name="jar:jar"/>
            <property name="maven.jar.to.deploy"
value="${maven.final.name}.jar"/>

        <j:set var="sl" value="/"/>
            <util:replace var="jarToDeploy" oldChar="\"
newChar="/">${maven.build.dir}/${maven.jar.to.deploy}</util:replace>
            <util:replace var="forwardSlashBaseDir" oldChar="\" newChar="/"
value="${basedir}"/>
            <j:if test="${!forwardSlashBaseDir.endsWith('/')}">
              <j:set var="base" value="${forwardSlashBaseDir}/" />
            </j:if>
            <j:set
var="relativePath">${jarToDeploy.substring(base.length())}</j:set>

                <signjar jar="${maven.build.dir}/${maven.jar.to.deploy}"
alias="milkshake" storepass="frylock"/>

            <deploy:artifact
              artifact="${relativePath}"
              type="jars"
              assureDirectoryCommand="mkdir -p"
              siteCommand="cd @deployDirectory@; chmod g+w
${maven.jar.to.deploy}; chgrp ${maven.remote.group} ${maven.jar.to.deploy}"
            />

Also, was wondering if it would make sense to have a property where you
could specify the alias and storepass and if these have been set, have all
the jar goals sign the jar right after generating it.  I was thinking maybe
a maven.keystore.alias and maven.keystore.pass and then in the jar goals
just check if any of these are set.