Thanks Paul , but I still seem out of luck.
I downloaded UmlGraph version 4.8 and installed it as

mvn install:install-file  -Dpackaging=jar -DartifactId=UmlGraph
-Dversion=4.8 -Dfile=C:/devenv/UMLGraph-4.8/lib/UmlGraph.jar
-DgroupId=gr.spinellis -DgeneratePom=true

then reconfigured the javadoc plugin to match the working example :

   <plugin>
        <configuration>
         <aggregate>true</aggregate>
         <doclet>gr.spinellis.umlgraph.doclet.UmlGraphDoc</doclet>
         <docletArtifact>
          <groupId>gr.spinellis</groupId>
          <artifactId>UmlGraph</artifactId>
          <version>4.8</version>
        </docletArtifact>
        <additionalparam>
         -inferrel -inferdep -quiet -hide java.* -collpackages java.util.*
-qualify -postfixpackage -nodefontsize 9 -nodefontpackagesize 7
        </additionalparam>
       </configuration>
    </plugin>

I still am not getting any ".dot" generated. I noticed the following in from
my "mvn -X javadoc:javadoc" output :

[DEBUG]   (f) docletArtifact = groupId = 'null'
artifactId = 'null'
version = 'null'
[DEBUG]   (f) docletArtifacts = []

Does this mean maven-javadoc-plugin isn't recognizing the UmlGraphDoc
doclet? Or is that output normal?