On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:27 AM,
massive.boisson<massive.bois...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I have a maven project (that is web project by its nature) and I want to
> run it in eclipse as WTP project.
>
> I found command (on
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/wtp.html):
> mvn -Dwtpversion=R7 eclipse:eclipse
> Where wtpversion can be R7, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 or none (default).
>

> As current wtp version is 3.1, can I use
> mvn -Dwtpversion=3.1 eclipse:eclipse
>

> Or is there a new or prefered way to do this?

When you specify the WTP version, you are telling the plugin which
type of configuration to generate. Eclipse has the ability to "import"
from older versions, so even though WTP version 2.0 is from '08, it
shouldn't hurt to use 2.0, then let eclipse import it.

At the same time, when using the eclipse plugin, you should ask
yourself which you want to depend on more, eclipse or maven? Eclipse
and maven both handle many similar tasks, but if you use the eclipse
functionality, you are locked into eclipse... There are many eclipse
tools that are helpful, but for building and testing, I prefer to
leave it to maven. That being the case, what does WTP give you that is
most important? IMO, it's the ability to run your web-app right from
the IDE... You can install a tomcat runtime right in WTP and tell
eclipse to run your web-app in it. If this is the feature you are
looking for, then I would say that you could do one better and use the
maven-tomcat-plugin to get the same functionality.

Instead of using the maven-eclipse-plugin to generate eclipse
configuration files, try using the m2eclipse eclipse plugin to have
eclipse become more "maven-aware". Then, you can create an eclipse run
configuration that launches 'mvn tomcat:run'. You will have the
ability to debug your web-app using the eclipse debugger. In addition,
you will also have the nifty pom editory that comes with m2eclipse.
This will leave you with a project that is more portable across IDEs,
in case someone on your team later decides to use something other than
eclipse. In addition, your build/test process can be run in a CI
environment like hudson.

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher