What is the maven way of creating a patched jar?

I have a case where I need to apply some overrides to a binary jar which is
one of my dependencies.  I have the source code for the overrides.  So I
could create a child module with the source and the one dependency that
needs the overrides applied.  What maven plugin would I use to extract the
class files from the dependency, combine with the new generated classes from
source, and then re-jar?  The final artifact would have a new name, i.e.
_patched, so as to not get confused with the original.  How can I then stop
the transitive dependency on the original jar?  I would want the dependency
to be on the new patched version only.

What's the maven way of doing this sort of thing?

-Dave