I must have been blind when reading through my MDG last night.  I found
what I believe will be my solution.

    <activation>
       <file>
          <exists>src/changes/changes.xml</exists>
       </file>
    </activation>

Since this is the only module that will have a changes.xml file, this
should do the trick for me.  I thought I'd share what I found for posterity.
Dave