Hi,
No, If you already resolved all dependencies there is no need to compile
again in online mode. You could force turn on offline mode with "-o" or
"--offline" command line option. Reason why maven is trying to acces
Internet is smth like update dependencies with SNAPSHOTS version and
similar.

And what about your stacktrace - there is clearly said that connection was
dropped in cause of timeout. You should run maven commands in offline mode
as your computure (not laptop) dont have access to internet.

P.S. BTW also you could manually resolve all dependencies via "mvn
dependensy:resolve"