Stephen Connolly wrote:
my understanding of aggregate is that it has to go where the <modules>
(& by implication the dependencies) are

Ah, I see! I got the separation slightly wrong. I've got you now, that's great. So everything is a module of complete, and a dependency of it, but a-e declare parent to be their parent. Good.