Hi all.  I'm in the middle of writing a new software application (using
Maven), which will eventually be released with some existing software
packages (that don't use Maven).  Since I've started, I've use the standard
version numbering scheme for my applicaiton (at the moment, it's
1.00-SNAPSHOT).  However, as it's going to be released with an existing
package, I need to get the new app's version number to be the same as the
other components.

The existing version number rule uses a four-part number: <Major
Version>.<Minor Version>.<Release Number>.<Build Number>
An example, 6.01.11.01, or 5.01.00.00

So, this won't work in the default Maven numbering scheme for versions.
 I've come across the Versions Maven Plugin, and it indicates that a project
can define taht certain artifacts can use alternative numbering
schemes<http://mojo.codehaus.org/versions-maven-plugin/version-rules.html>.
This sounds like what I want to do: for my specific artifacts, use a
numbering scheme that includes an extra number before expecting the
qualifier.

This page mentions the mercury scheme, and a numeric scheme.  But I'm having
trouble finding any doco that states what those schemes are.  Does anyone
know where this is?

If these don't match, is it easy to provide our own scheme?  We just want
the same scheme, but with a fourth number. :)

Thanks for any help,
Ed