2009/8/31 Lewis, Eric <eric.le...@ipi.ch>

> > The whole point is to only remove -SNAPSHOT from dependencies
> > _which have
> > actually been released_
>
> Yes, I know. However, our release build is a bit different, because we have
> all the internal versions in one POM, and the build "masters" should release
> that before the actual projects are released. It forces the developers to
> use the released projects.

Well I'm hoping to refactor v-m-p real soon now to split out the version
checking stuff as an api .jar which would allow writing an m-enforcer-p rule
to allow you to force projects to only release with the latest version of
internal dependencies

> > If we remove -SNAPSHOT from dependencies which have not been
> > released then
> > we'd break your build.
>
> This is true... so you would suggest that for instance project A is
> released, then the parent POM is adapted using versions:use-releases for
> project A; then project B is released, and the same happens again?
> In that case (as I was already thinking), the parent POM has to be replaced
> in the repo every time a project is released. Which is kind of a hack, but I
> don't see any other way... I wonder what "the Maven way" is for that.

I would suggest in such a case not to use a parent pom to force versions, or
else to release everything in one go from the parent pom... or else accept
that the parent pom (which is really an integration pom) will get a lot of
churn.

The "Maven Way" as I see it is to let projects define their dependencies.
with the versions-m-p you now have reports to tell you when the  project is
not using the latest versions... and not using the latest version of
something is not a crime... it might be more stable.... for example the
latest version of Hudson is not always the most stable (though the new
weekly release cycle is improving that)