I was trying to acomplish the same thing. But it seems the war plugin ensures
that the context.xml file is overwritten.
I even added an antrun task to copy the filtered context to the META-INF
folder, but the war:war goal writes on it before building the war.

I know this because I've added an ant task to change the context.xml
permission to avoid writting and this is what I got:

[INFO] Could not copy webapp
sources[/home/user/projects/prueba/target/mywebapp]

Embedded error: Unable to open file
/home/user/projects/prueba/target/mywebapp/META-INF/context.xml for writing.

Did you find out a way to do this?