The problem is that this version isn't being passed to the forked
execution of Maven that is actually performing the release. There is a
way to do that, I'll have to look it up, but generally  you would be
better off with your source representing what you intend to release,
and only have the command line overrides for one-offs in development.
Otherwise your tag represents something other than what you released.
A big problem in my book...

Here's how you pass options to the forked build during perform:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/perform-mojo.html#arguments