Hi Manos,

JavascriptDependencyFilter is a nice feature and a technical showcase, but I would not allow a feature like that to be activated in projects I control.

With this feature I have no absolute control over my deliverables. As far as I can tell there is no garantee that 2 installations are exactly identical. It even introduces a runtime dependency on the maven repository which might not be available on all occasions.

Regards,

Minto 'misl' van der Sluis

Manos Batsis schreef:
Minto van der Sluis wrote:
Oeps, it seems I stepped on some to toes, sorry guys
... and that I am spoiled ;-)

Aren't we all ;-)

Lack of users has IMHO multiple causes:
1) Javascript source management is an afterthough on many project. They include it as resources in their WAR project. (I've seen the mess ;-) 2) The road for javascript dependency management is not as clear as for java.

Bingo. jstools is not only a maven plugin; it is also used as a classpath-like mechanism for resolving js resources at runtime (i.e. when processing an HTTP request) within WAR projects.

In short, one can build a JS project with Maven as described in js-packaging [1], in which case the project artifact is a JAR. A WAR project can pool that jar as usual by adding it in the dependencies section within the POM.

The jstools should also be added as a dependency to the WAR, making the JavascriptDependencyFilter [2] available to the web application. The filter is responsible for resolving js or other static resources and produce proper responses to HTTP requests.

In other words jstools provides runtime dep management (for war projects) and relies on maven conventions for build time.

[1] http://dev.abiss.gr/mvn-jstools/js-packaging.html
[2] http://dev.abiss.gr/mvn-jstools/apidocs/gr/abiss/mvn/plugins/jstools/web/JavascriptDependencyFilter.html

hth,

Manos