Amato:

Why did you have to "update" maven.jar?

Isn't it just sufficient to edit your ${user.home}/build.properties file
and put there the url of your remote repo? You can even access remote repo
using file protocol is you want.

Yagmur:

> I wonder if there is some way to say maven that it should not download the
dependencies, since i will do the downloads manually.

Maven will download dependencies only if they are not existing in your local
repository.
Once you have you local repository populated and all required jars are in it
everything  should work fine and no remote repository is needed.
Population of local repository by the way of fetching artifacts from remote
repository(ies) is the simplest way of doing that.
But you can populate it manually or even check it out from CVS.

Even if you are behind the firewall and you have no internet access you can
often still use intranet repository which can be shared by many users.

Michal