Brill Pappin wrote:

Using a localized remote repo is *not* an option for us here. I'm fighting other parts of the team to use maven as it is, and having a dependency on a remote machine that is a point-of-failure is not an option.

Other problems include security when a project must be built off-site by a developer working from home, or a contractor... no access; the repository must not be exposed (we did for a while, and promptly got hacked).

You mean the situation when devloper is not able to connect to your servers from home?
How can he/she use things like CVS then? And then how sources of the project will appear on his disk?
You can use the same channel for transfering required artifacts into your local repository.

The only option that will be satisfactory to the dinosaurs here is that any library not in the public repository goes with the project.... and no, I don't like it but thats what I have to work with :)

This already is supported. If you really have to you can just put your jars to CVS and make a checkout from there.
Then you have to define remote repository which is
using file:// protocol. You can even checkout such liblaries directly into your local repository. In other case maven
willl just copy them to local repository.

It might help if Maven was better at using secure protocols, but I've had nothing but pain setting that up!

It is planned. Support for ssh and https is already implemented and will be enabled shorty after maven 1.0 is released

The key is that it must not have too much in the way of "special" setup on a particular box or it simply will not be us

Michal